Manchester City vs Arsenal – Match Preview – A massive Super Sunday clash sees table-topping Manchester City host Arsenal – with Pep Guardiola’s team seeking a ninth consecutive Premier League victory in distancing themselves from the rest of the pack.
City are undefeated in all competitions this season, scoring goals for fun and playing in an exhilarating manner – some of the best football in recent history is happening at the Etihad Stadium. 35 goals in just 10 games goes some way to demonstrating that. In fact, 21 of those have come at home for Guardiola’s men.
Already five points clear of closest challengers and local rivals Manchester United, City have cemented themselves as early season favourites to go on and claim the title – albeit with plenty of football still to be played.
With an array of attacking talents in the form of Kevin de Bruyne, David Silva, Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and more it just seems impossible to stop such an irresistible force all playing at their pomp.
All the plaudits are not excessive but completely deserved, only three teams (including City) have taken 28 points from their opening 10 games and the other two sides to achieve such a feat (Chelsea 05/06 and Manchester City 11/12) both went on to win the league that year.
Over the past few years, Arsenal have established a reputation for crumbling against the better sides in what is seen as indicative of the problems at the club as a whole, a lack of leadership and resilience to get themselves over the line in such crucial fixtures.
Saying that, The Gunners have only tasted defeat at the hands of City once in the last nine match-ups, so will undoubtedly come in without the notion of it being a foregone conclusion.
With Ozil and Sanchez seemingly back on-song following the 5-2 demolition of Everton, and coming back from behind to win 2-1 against Swansea last time out, Arsenal will believe they too have enough firepower to blow away any team on their day.
Arsenal are already nine points off the pace at the top and with Chelsea playing United in the game immediately after this one, a positive result will be needed to maintain touching distance with Champions League and title rivals above them.
A game full of fluid, expansive football is surely in store in what promises to be another advert for the brilliance of the Premier League.
Player to Watch
Not much needs to be said about Sergio Aguero that hasn’t already been said – a world-class striker that guarantees goals and plenty of them – the Argentinian has again been in devastating form this campaign with nine strikes in ten matches, despite being second-choice to Gabriel Jesus. The 29-year-old will be buoyed after a fantastic week in which he not only helped his team beat Napoli 4-2 away from home in the Champions League but became the Manchester City all-time record goal-scorer, with his 178th for the club in remarkably, just 264 games. It would take a brave man to back against him bagging a whole lot more.
- Skybet Price Boost – Sergio Aguero and Alexis Sanchez both to score in 90 mins – 5/1
- Skybet Price Boost – Kevin De Bruyne to score from outside the penalty area – 9/1
- Skybet Scorecast Boost – Raheem Sterling to score first and Manchester City to win 3-0 – 50/1
- Skybet Scorecast Boost (Double Chance) – Aaron Ramsey to score first and either Arsenal to win 1-0 or Arsenal to win 2-0 – 155/1
- Skybet Featured RequestAbets – Manchester City to win, over 3.5 goals and 20+ booking points each team – 3/1
- Skybet Pundits RequestAbet – Charlie’s RAB: Aguero, Sterling & Sanchez to score, Manchester City to win and over 4.5 goals – 16/1
- Skybet Goalscorer Treble – Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and Alexandre Lacazette All to Score – 8/1
- Skybet To score a Header – John Stones – 10/1
- Skybet Player Carded Accumulator – Granit Xhaka and Fernandinho – 9/2
- Skybet Both Players to Score – Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling – 9/2