Arsenal vs Manchester City
Sunday 25th February, 2018
League Cup Final, Wembley Stadium
Sky Sports – Kick-Off 16:30 GMT
After blowing the Quadruple, Treble, and Double, in one crazy night at League One Wigan, Manchester City bid this Sunday to restore the perceived order at the summit of English football – and secure a first trophy on these shores for their Spanish super-coach Pep Guardiola.
Rocked, rattled and ultimately rolled over by the Latics in the FA Cup shock of this century (well, City were reduced to ten men late in the first half), recovering their poise and purpose in time for the Carabao Cup final against Arsenal will be a significant examination of everyone’s character at the Etihad.
Or, at least, it should be, because if the Premier League leaders’ fifth-round FA Cup humiliation on Monday was a major setback, the Gunners’ lucky escape in the Europa League three days later, losing 2-1 at home to Swedish minnows Ostersunds (winning 4-2 aggregate) was little better.
Thanks to their own premature exit from the FA Cup, Arsene Wenger’s side have had plenty of time of late to rest and recharge for the crunch games.
Trouble is, these extra breaks are not doing much good. Two weeks ago they were comprehensively outplayed in a 1-0 derby defeat to Tottenham – their eighth away loss in the league this season.
Ten days on a shuffled line-up crash to Ostersunds at the Emirates. That is no way to boost the belief Wenger is about to make it third time lucky in a League Cup final.
The record-breaking FA Cup winning boss still needs this piece of silverware to complete the set, domestically speaking. He lost to Chelsea in the 2007 final and Birmingham in 2011. The Gunners have lost a record four League Cup finals, winning two (1987 and 1992).
Away from the FA Cup, the Frenchman’s record in major finals as Arsenal manager is lost four, won none.
Wenger’s side did take outsmart Pep Guardiola’s City at Wembley in April, with the north Londoners coming from behind to earn a 2-1 win in the FA Cup semi-final.
Much has changed since then. City are way better, Arsenal not as good, especially now their match-winner that day, Alexis Sanchez, is gone.
Manchester City always score. Unless it is against lower league opposition or, Crystal Palace. Only Wolves, Wigan and the Eagles have stopped City finding the net this term.
Arsenal pretty much always concede. They have kept only three clean sheets in the last 15 games in all competitions – all in cups, all when David Opsina is in goal. The Colombian keeper has kept six in his 12 appearances in 2017-18.
Wenger rarely loses at Wembley. Not in the cups, at least. He is looking to make it ten wins on the spin in knockout games there. However, Arsenal did lose at the national stadium earlier this month – in the league against Spurs.
Referee/VAR: You would imagine VAR might help eradicate potential errors from referee Craig Pawson and assistants…but then again his use of it in Liverpool’s FA Cup defeat to West Brom in the fourth round was ridiculed. Pawson has shown 85 yellow cards and four reds in 25 games this season.
The Match will be shown live on Sky Sports, 4.30pm Kick-Off.
Prediction: Arsenal 1-3 Manchester City
Suggested tips – Arsenal vs Manchester City – (BET365):
- Correct score, Manchester City to win 3-1 – (link no longer available)
Suggested tips – Arsenal vs Manchester City – (SKYBET):
- Popular RequestABets – Manchester City to score 1+ goals, 8+ Manchester City corners and 20+ Arsenal booking pts – 5/2.
- RequestABets 80/1 and and above – Arsenal vs. Manchester City – Sane, Aguero & Sterling to score and Manchester City 3-1 – 125/1.
- Popular RequestABets – De Bruyne & Xhaka both to score from outside the area – 200/1.
- RequestABets 80/1 and above – Arsenal vs. Manchester City – Ozil to score first & Fernandinho – 125/1.
- Popular RequestABets – Aguero to score a hat trick and Manchester City 3-0 – 300/1.
- RequestABets up to 10/1 – Arsenal vs Manchester City – BTTS, 4+ corners each team and 20+ booking points each team – 7/2 (NAP).
- RequestABets 80/1 and above – Arsenal vs. Manchester City – Arsenal to win, BTTS, 9+ Manchester City corners and 30+ booking points each team – 80/1.
- RequestABets 11/1 to 28/1 – Aubameyang to score and Draw 2-2 – 18/1.
- RequestABets 80/1 and above – Arsenal vs. Manchester City – Arsenal – Aguero & Sane to score, MNC to win, 4+ corners each team, Xhaka & Fernandinho to be carded & 30+ ARS booking pts – 80/1.
- @FootyAccums RequestABets -Arsenal vs Manchester City – Aubameyang & Sane to score, 4+ corners each team and Wilshere & Otamendi to be carded – 100/1.
- RequestABets up to 10/1 – Arsenal vs Manchester City – Over 1.5 goals, 3+ corners each team and 10+ booking points each team – 4/5 (NAP).
Odds and markets last updated on February 25 February 2018 @16:20 GMT.
More markets will be added over the weekend prior to the game kicking off today. Keep visiting the tips and preview area for further updates and betting previews for this weeks upcoming premier league fixtures including another bout of Arsenal vs Manchester City on Thursday Night.