Wigan Athletic vs Southampton
Sunday 18th March 2018
FA Cup Quarter-Final, DW Stadium
Live on BBC 1 – Kick-Off: 13:30
Wigan Athletic vs Southampton – Mark Hughes’ first test as Southampton manager is to beat League One underdogs Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup Quarter-Final.
Hughes was named as Mauricio Pellegrino’s successor after Southampton’s 3-0 defeat to Newcastle last time out. The Argentine endured a difficult first season as a manager in English football, taking Southampton dangerously close to the relegation zone.
Hughes himself lost his job at Stoke for doing the same thing, but the Welshman seems the right fit to take The Saints out of trouble. He even played there for two years between 1998-2000, so has an ‘affinity’ in his own words.
Southampton have had a turbulent season, with just five wins only West Brom (three) have won less games in the Premier League. However, the FA Cup represents a wonderful opportunity for Southampton to win their first major trophy since winning this competition in 1976.
Wigan are the opposition, who already are writing their own script in this season’s FA Cup. Toppling Pep Guardiola’s all-conquering Manchester City side in the last round sent shockwaves through football.
Paul Cook’s side are having an excellent campaign in general, sitting in 2nd place, five points from Blackburn Rovers. The Latics do, however, have three games in hand in their quest to return to the Championship.
Goals decide games, and that’s exactly where Southampton have struggled this season. They have only scored 29 in the league, and only scored two or more six times. Only Swansea and West Brom have failed to reach that feat in fewer games (five). Wigan have scored two+ on 18 occasions, so it is just a case of whether they can replicate that against higher quality opposition.
This match will represent everything that the FA Cup is about. Two teams, generally unfancied, where one of them will make it to a Wembley semi-final. Where dreams are made.
Michael Oliver has been chosen to referee this one. No one has taken charge of more Premier League games than Oliver this year (25), and he has the second highest average booking points per game in the division with 39.8.
Wigan Athletic vs Southampton will be televised live in the UK on BBC One with kick-off at 13:30 GMT.
Prediction: Wigan 1-3 Southampton
Suggested tips – Wigan Athletic vs Southampton – (BET365):
- Correct score, 3-1 Southampton win – (link no longer available).
- Southampton/Southampton HT/FT betting – (link no longer available).
Suggested tips – Wigan Athletic vs Southampton – (SKYBET):
- RequestABet Up To 10/1 Specials – Over 1.5 goals, 3+ corners each team and 30+ match booking pts – 13/8.
- Scorecast Boost (Double Chance) – Manolo Gabbiadini to score first and either Southampton to win 2-0 or Southampton to win 3-0 – 25/1.
- RequestABet Up To 10/1 Specials – Southampton to score 2+ Goals, 5+ Corners and Wigan 20+ Booking Points – 5/1.
- Price Boosts – Wigan v Southampton – Manolo Gabbiadini and Dusan Tadic both to score in 90 mins – 10/1.
- RequestABet Specials 80/1 and above – Wigan vs Southampton – Gabbiadini to score, 7+ Wigan corners, Lemina to be carded and Under 50 match booking points – 80/1.
- RequestABet Specials Up to 10/1 – Wigan v Southampton – Wigan to score 2+ goals, 5+ Wigan corners and 20+ Southampton booking pts – 11/1.
Odds and markets last updated on 18 March 2018 @09:45 GMT.
Keep visiting the tips and preview area for further updates and betting previews for more previews from this weekends FA Cup and SkyBet Championship action.